Saturday, April 2, 2016

Perplexed by People


     I’ll admit it, I’m different. I don’t say this in a bragging way. Its just the way it is, or at least the way it seems to be. Truth be told, its difficult being different. Communicating with others is difficult, because my thought processes seem to be quite different than other people's. I see people and the things they do, and am completely befuddled, by their behavior. Thus I have found myself on what seems to be a never ending journey of trying to understand the thoughts, beliefs and motivations of others.

     One thing that has me complete flummoxed is an apathy that seems to infect most people. Maybe “apathy” isn’t the right word. Maybe “despondency” is the right word. Or maybe “contentment”. Maybe its “learned helplessness”.

     They makes me think of the story of 2 men on a porch talking. Next to the one of the men is a dog that just keeps whining. One man asks the other:

      “What’s wrong with your dog?”

     “He’s laying on a nail.”

     “Why doesn’t he move?”
   
     “I guess it doesn’t hurt bad enough.”

     Most of the people I know remind me of that dog. They want things to change, but they want to keep doing what they’ve always done.

     They want to lose weight, but don’t want to workout.

     They want to make more money, but don’t want to go to night school, or get a second job.

     They want to do better with women, but won’t bother learning the people skills that would help them.

     They’re not content, but they’re not discontent enough to do something about their situation.

     They want things to change, but they don't want to change.

     I am completely perplexed by this. Not that I am perfect; I’m not. But there is no way that I’m taking life lying down. I have to take action.

     Men and women who just go through the motions of life are in a pathetic state. Wake up, go to work, come home, watch 6 hours of reality television, go to bed, repeat. What a pointless state of existence.

     Maybe I’m just over complicating things. Maybe it comes down to what they value. Maybe they value the easy life more than they value success. Maybe they value comfort more than accomplishment. Maybe they value mind numbing trance that comes from watching 4 hours of television more than they value intelligence.

     Its their life, they can do what they want, I guess.

     But it seems like a pathetic way to live.

     Til next time, gentlemen.


No comments:

Post a Comment