Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Discipline

Its not enough  to be motivated, you must also be disciplined. Motivation waxes and wanes. Discipline will push you through, when motivation fails.

You'll hear people try to explain why they fail to do what they should or why they don't do the things that will bring the results they claim to want.

They say things like, "I just don't feel motivated to workout."

Let me tell you a secret about working out: you don't have to be motivated for it to work. You just have to do it. If you squat even though you don't feel motivated, your quads will still get bigger and stronger. You don't have to feel motivated for it to work. You just have to do it.

Do you call in to work and say "Sorry boss, I just don't feel motivated today." No, you get up and go to work. And you get paid for the work you do, no matter how you feel about it. Why would the rest of life be any different?

Being disciplined means doing what you need to do, whether you feel like it or not.

If I waited until I felt motivated to write, I wouldn't be writing this right now. I know that I need more content on the site. I know that its a bad idea to try to produce content on the day I intend to publish it. So here I am, writing this almost a week before I intend to publish it. After this post is finished, I'll do another.

And that is discipline. Having goals, having and plan to reach those goals, and then doing the work until the goals are reached.

If you are like most people, there are things in your life that you would like to improve. And if you are like most people, you'll do nothing to change them. Don't be like that. Don't be a loser who just floats aimlessly through life. The only thing you can change is yourself.

Motivational guru Jim Rohn used to say, "For things to change, you have to change."

And its true.

This isn't a virtue that is distinctly masculine. Its just part of being a winner, whether your a man or a woman.

Motivation doesn't last. Discipline does. Practice discipline. Do what you know you should do. Don't wait until you feel like doing it. That's what losers and soft men do. Do it now.

Of course you have to have time to relax. But set aside time for rest and relaxation. And make sure that it doesn't creep out of its allotted time.

But outside your allotted time for rest and relaxation, practice discipline in everything you do.

That's it for this post. Till next time, gents.

No comments:

Post a Comment